Note: A guest article by Manu Priya. More details about her after the post.
In recent years, we’re witnessing the explosive growth of the social media and it has certainly shifted the way we connect. Exchanging information between people has developed into more effective means, and communication happens in a jiffy. Whether you’re using social media for personal and or business purposes, by now, you might have a clear idea about it’s enormous impact on your life.
The question now, however, is — is it possible to live with no social media action even for a day? Will it be better or bitter?
Social media activities
In this day and age, social media has become “mandatory.” It is being integrated into people’s everyday lives. I’m not an exception. I network like crazy. Strangely though, I have multiple accounts on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger, and recently, Pinterest.
I use to call it a night, only after thanking people for retweets, check Facebook messages, approve Linkedin requests, pin some eye catching stuff, and of course stalk a few of my friends’ social media pages. This is my bedtime routine, even if it’s already midnight, and my eyes are heavy and drooping.
Social media addiction
It’s only recently I realized that I’m getting “addicted” to social media. I’m not sure whether its addiction, obsession, or compulsion, the term doesn’t matter. When I’m at work, I open my Twitter page every one hour, literally for no reason. I spend hours on Pinterest, viewing photos and videos. I’m happy if my followers count increase, and I feel crestfallen when the reverse happens.
In fact, I started social media to promote myself online, as a writer. It’s really disappointing to note that just 30 minutes is enough to do those promotion activities, but I use social media for 4 to 5 hours a day.
All these things happen not only to me but to all those who are ardently devoted to social media. The moment you get news about celeb deaths, earthquakes, strikes, storms etc, you run to your machine or quickly pick up your smatrphone to tweet about it and participate on related Twitter discussions.
You feel restless when your friend has posted photos of her Switzerland trip on Facebook and you are so busy with work that you have not posted your comments yet. Such is the “urge” that social media brings into you. Don’t you think it’s an unhealthy behavior?
Understanding social media reality and a relieving act
Unless it’s your business or profession, quit social media (just for a day) and see what happens? No one is going to question you why you did not participate in Justin’s 18th birthday celebrations on Twitter. Your friend won’t question you why you did not like her profile photo on Facebook. Your readers won’t weep seeing your blog not updated for sometime.
The fact is there are millions of Justin’s fans on Twitter, there are 1000s of blogs similar to yours, and your Facebook friend has 500 other friends like you. No one really cares what you are up to. In reality, there are people and businesses that make money out of your social media fanaticism.
Lou Holtz said, “Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” This holds true not only with sharing problems, but also with sharing anything about you on social networks. If it’s a good thing about you that you shared, those 80% feel jealous on you.
I don’t mean to say that one has to quit social media altogether. You feel disconnected if you do it, and life will eventually turn bitter. My idea is to limit the time spent on social media, and give priorities to your profession and the lovely people around you. Life would definitely be better if you keep social media at a distance. You get more time to spend with your family, to take a walk along the yellow woods, read fairytales, and help your iPad or smartphone battery last longer.
Now it’s your turn: How will be your life without social media? Would it be a better or bitter experience? Let us enlighten in the comments below.
Name: Manu Priya
About: Manu Priya is a technical writer and a social media aficionado. She loves to stay close to nature, listen to satsangs, interact with people from all walks of life and strives to be a better person. Connect with her on Twitter. Read her recent articles on Suite101.
Popularity: 3% [?]Follow @arkarthick Buffer
Viewed 1,723 Times Recently.
Tags: Impact of social media on life, life without social media, Social Media, Social media action, Social media activities, Social media addiction, Social media addicts, Social media detox, Social media distractions, Social media explained, Social media impact, Social media life balance, Social Networking
|If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment. |
Subscribe to RSS Feed (Or) via E-mail to stay up-to-date.
Meanwhile, please take a moment to share it with others and Save/Bookmark in your favorite Social Networking/Bookmarking Sites: